Also known as the “City of Tinajones”. Founded in 1514 by the adelantado Don Diego Velázquez, during the colonization process and is the fourth village of the first seven that were erected at this stage in the island. It has one of the most interesting historical centers and best preserved in the country that holds the colonial style in its architecture and design.
Sites to visit:
♦Historic Center. On this site you will find several architectural samples from different periods of the villa's evolution.
♦Cathedral of Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria. Several churches preceded the one we can find on this site today. In 1530 a church was built of stone, it was later destroyed by the fire that hit the city in 1616. The following year (1617) was rebuilt and is currently the church we can see today.
♦ Santa Lucia Beach. It is located around 100 km north of Camagüey. It is a beach of fine white sand with crystal clear waters ideal for diving enthusiasts. A few meters from the shore is one of the most impressive and largest coral reefs of the world, with abundant marine wealth and also shipwrecks.
♦Sabinal Key. Located to the north of Camagüey. The natural beauty of its virgin beaches, invites the visitor to admire it in all its splendor. On the surroundings used to navigate, with his yacht “Pilar”, the prestigious American writer Ernest Hemingway. The Key has a great diversity of flora and fauna where we can find the “Tocororo”, the national bird of Cuba.